How do I take my drops?
Tip: Whenever starting a new bottle, prime it for use by pressing the pump until you see a small amount of liquid come out.
- Place the pump under your tongue and press down fully two times.
- Hold the liquid under your tongue for two minutes before swallowing.
- Wait 5 minutes before eating or drinking anything.
- Repeat these steps daily.
- Make sure to take two pumps once a day, every day. Set an alarm or put a reminder on your calendar. If you miss a day, follow these instructions (or if you’re on your Maintenance Kit, go here).
- Keep one bottle out at a time, in a visible and convenient location away from sunlight, and store the others in the refrigerator until you are ready to use them.
- Each bottle should be used for 30 days and can then be discarded (even if it still has some liquid in it).
- Each bottle comes with a dosing pump. That pump measures the exact dosage you need every day, which is two pumps.
- For the best results, hold the liquid under your tongue for two minutes before swallowing, and don’t eat or drink anything for 5 minutes afterward.
How does it work?
Allergy immunotherapy drops train the body to tolerate allergens, which reduces unwanted allergy symptoms such as watery or itchy eyes, sneezing, stuffy and itchy nose, or itchy skin.
The first 90 days of treatment (phase 1 or ramp-up phase) will contain your starter set of drops, which come in your Ramp-Up Kit. During this time, your body will gradually be introduced to your specific allergens.
Each bottle contains a 30-day supply of drops and needs to be taken in the order shown on the label starting with Month 1, followed by Month 2, and then Month 3.
Phase 2 (maintenance phase) of your treatment starts with your second shipment, arriving in time for you to transition on day 91. Your Maintenance Kit drops contain the full dose of allergens. This dosage strength will remain the same for the rest of your treatment.
Are there any side effects?
Most patients experience mild oral itchiness or tingling during therapy. This may also occur when you start a new bottle. This is completely normal. It generally lasts a few minutes and resolves within a few days to weeks.
If you do experience these symptoms, you can take a non-sedating antihistamine like Allegra, Claritin, or Zyrtec about 1 hour before you take your drops to manage your symptoms. If these symptoms last longer than 2 weeks, let us know and we will connect you with the right professional to help you work through it. You may also experience your typical allergy symptoms as your body builds tolerance, especially during the ramp-up phase. This is particularly common if you start your treatment during peak allergy season. We recommend continuing to take your routine allergy medication during this time.
Common side effects may include:
- Itching of the mouth (most patients experience this)
- Itching of the tongue
- Minor swelling of the tongue
- Throat irritation
- Itchy eyes or ears
- Runny/congested nose
Rare side effects may include:
- Dizziness or palpitations
- Dry mouth
- Dry throat
- Abdominal pain
If you experience a medical emergency, call 911 and seek medical attention immediately. This might include any of the following symptoms:
- Trouble breathing, swallowing, or speaking
- Throat swelling or tightness
- Dizziness or fainting
- Rapid or weak heartbeat
How should I store my drops?
You can keep the bottle you are currently using in a visible and convenient location, preferably away from sunlight. Pick a spot that will help remind you to take your drops every day.
The additional bottles should be kept in your refrigerator until you are ready to use them. It’s important that you do not freeze them or expose them to high temperatures (eg. do not keep them in your car or next to a heater).
How soon will I feel relief?
A full treatment of allergy drops can take 3-5 years (just like other immunotherapy treatment options such as allergy shots). Some people experience symptom relief in as little as 30 days, particularly for the allergies they have the most trouble with. The most important thing is to stay consistent and take your drops every day.
You are ready to pick up your first bottle and start your treatment journey! Your next shipment will be the Maintenance Kit (with your full dose) and will arrive a couple of weeks before you’re finished with the third bottle of this Ramp-Up Kit. Look out for a notification 3-5 days before we process & ship.